Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Skinny Chicken Stroganoff

skinny_chicken_stroganoff.jpg



Here is another yummy favorite recipe that is loved at the Corbett house hold. I got this recipe from Pampered Chef...I love all of  their stuff, but I really love the recipe books that I ordered from them.  I have a few go to meals that i used all the time. It’s a delicious twist on beef stroganoff, and a few variations on the traditional ingredients keep it light.


I started by cooking 4 slices of bacon in a large skillet until crisp, crumbled it, and set it aside. (The actual recipe says to use turkey bacon, but I used what I had on hand.) Set the skillet aside for later use.
 
Next, I cooked 6 ounces (3 cups) of egg noodles according to package directions. I drained them, returned them to the pot, and covered them to keep them warm. I suggest using whole wheat egg noodles. While the noodles were cooking, I whisked together ...
  • 3/4 cup of reduced-fat sour cream 
  • 1/4 cup of flour in a small bowl.
  • I gradually whisked in 1 can (14 ounces) of fat free/light chicken broth until the mixture was smooth. 
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
Next take the skilled you used  before and add
  •  8 ounces of pre-sliced mushrooms (you can buy them canned....save time that way!),
  • 1 medium onion (1 cup), 
  • 1 pound of chicken sliced into 1/4-inch strips.
  • 1 clove of garlic minced
Cook these over high heat tossing constantly, until chicken was no longer pink (about 4 minutes). I tend to cook the chicken first and them add the rest of the ingredients.
 
 Next, I returned the  bacon crumbles to the skillet. I stirred in the sour cream mixture and brought it to a boil. I reduced the heat to medium and simmered the mixture for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Finally, I stirred in 2 tablespoons of snipped fresh parsley and served the mixture over the egg noodles.

I know this sounds kinda complicated but it really isn't that hard...I promise!  I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think! Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment