Monday, May 31, 2010

Small Town USA

Living in such a small community has been quite the adjustment for me the past three years. Every one always talks about the "charm" that the small town and community brings, I on the other hand have had a hard time appreciating said charm due the fact that if i forget something at the grocery store it is a 20 minute trip to the local stop and shop. In fact it is 20-30 minutes to get to anything around here! Local cuisine often proves to be a challenge as well. You can't just pick up the phone and call for pizza or Chinese food to be delivered on the spot. And if you do decided to go out for dinner you are limited to 2 choices (both of which are Italian) unless you want to drive a half hour. Why am I telling you all of this .....well today I had a slight change of heart. While the things I have shared bug me to death at times, today I was able to experience the "charm" of the small town that I live in. Today is Memorial Day, a day to remember those who have served our country and served in the military. This day is a day that our tiny little town makes sure to celebrate with style and in doing so changed how I feel about living in such a small place.

The day started off with the local town of East Haddam parade. Basically, you either marched in the parade or watched it, but either way everyone in the town was there! Anyone who has any affiliation to anything marches and if you have uniform of some sort you are a main feature! Everyone marched, girl scouts, boy scouts, firemen, high school band, middle school band, anyone in Little League, Lions Club and the American Legion (which is where we ended the parade). These are just a few of the groups that marched in the parade today. Joe also marched in the parade as a member of the East Haddam Republican Town Committee. It was really fun to watch him walk and represent the community.

As, I sat on the hill and watched all the families with their kids line up to watch everyone roll by on the parade route I couldn't help but get a little emotional. How wonderful it was to see all of these families spending time together and teaching there children about why we remember those who have served our country. Just to see the community in action was so special. It felt almost like I had been transported back in time to the way things used to be many years ago. I found myself thinking these are the experiences I want my kid to have one day. Don't get me wrong, I have no intentions of living in CT for the rest of my life, however when we do move south I think that I want to find somewhere that isn't so big. Maybe a little town (not to far removed with more than 3 restaurants) that has that community feel that we have here. It was such a nice day. They American legion even fed everyone a hot dog lunch after all of the festivities, complete with ice cream and beer! Only in a small community can you do that! It was such a treat!

After the parade we watched a special ceremony with the raising of the flag, vets who shared their stories, lowering of the flag, taps and a 21 gun salute. It was very special to see everyone gathered to remember those we have lost fighting for our freedom. That is what today is all about remembing those we have lost and who gave there lives for ours so that we might enjoy this wonderful country. I am so grateful for those men and women and for those who are currently serving. Thank you to all those who serve this amazing country, The United States of America.
Only in this country can you find the community and patriotism that I saw today. So here's to small town American living and the special and wonderful people who live there. Thank you for letting me see what you are all about and letting me be apart of your community. And thank you again to all those who served and who have given your life so that myself and others may enjoy to benefits of living in such a special place.


Local fife and drum! They have been around since 1860 and they are pretty good!

Joe walking in the parade! See him waving!!

4 comments:

  1. Loving my small town too. But we now have 2 McDonald's ..that is one too many

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha....we don't have any!!! We don't even have a stop light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I know what you mean! It felt like we moved to Mayberry when we moved to Williamston. It sounds like our town is a little bigger than yours, but not by much. We can't get high speed internet if that's any indication. I went through some serious culture shock when we moved here.

    There are some big issues in our town. It's self segerated between blacks and white, and ball seems to rule all activities.

    But I've grown to love this little town. I've seen the town's people rally around families that need help due to illness, fire or accidents. The since of helping one another is a beautiful thing. Plus there is a slower pace of life. People visit one another and call to check on you. I've never felt so loved by my neighbors. I'm happy to be raising our childen in a community like this. Maybe one day, you'll feel that way about your town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe....I do love some things about it! I am glad that you are loving life in Williamston! I know the Lord has your there for his work. Hope you guys are well...miss you!

    ReplyDelete