Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Southern Girls Survival Guide to Living in New England!

Moving across the country three years ago was such an eye opening experience. I have decided to write about some of the things that I have learned since making the transition from Southern Girl to ..... Southern Girl living in New England. I miss living in the South more than you can imagine, but I have learned quite a bit in my time here. There are some things about this part of the country that are wonderful and other things I just don't understand. So I have decided to write a "Survival Guide" of sorts for any southern girl or southern guy that finds themselves suddenly living in New England


1. Life doesn't stop when it SNOWS! Spending the first 27 years of my life in the South I am well trained on how to handle the threat of snow. If it even looks like it might snow, school is canceled and the grocery store is emptied within hours. Not so much the case in CT.
I will never forget the first time it snowed here and I was at work. As I sat and looked out the window at all of the snow falling my entire body set into a shear panic. Everything within me told me to leave the office, get in my car, go to the store for bread and milk and get home as fast as possible. I was even more disturbed to watch everyone around me act like nothing was happening at all. "Don't we need to close the office I asked my boss?!!" he just looked at me and laughed and then explained that we would not be leaving the office until it was time to go at the end of the day. As you can imagine this only added to my panic, and at that point I remember feeling trapped! What should I do!!? Not a good feeling at all! Since this first snow I have come to relax a little especially since it snows like every week from November to April. The state has lots of snow plows and they're pretty good about getting the snow out of here and keeping the roads clear, but that doesn't stop me from going to the store when I think that it might snow just to stock up on food in case we're trapped for days!

2. Sweet Tea is non-existent here...so don't bother asking for it!
For some reason New Englander's have yet to catch onto the goodness of sweet tea! New England and the rest of the country for that matter just need to get a grip and embrace the wonder that is sweet tea. I don't get it! I mean most of them have heard about it and know what it is, but they just don't have it here which is so unfortunate! If you ask for it at a restaurant, they let you know that they would be happy to give you some sugar packets along with your glass of tea. It's not the same and anyone who has lived in the South and knows the goodness of sweet tea knows that sugar packets just won't work! I make it whenever we are going to have company in hopes of converting one more person! I have made it part of my personal mission since living here to expose as many Yankees to the delicacy that is Sweet tea!

This concludes the first of many instalments in the survival guide. Keep your eyes open as I know I will have many more entries over the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment