Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Yummy Yummy in My Tummy!


Thought I would share one of the Corbett's favorite family dinners with all of you. This is a recipe that one of my friends found and passed it on to me! It is from the cooking light website which I L-O-V-E! This dinner is called Kung Pao Chicken. Joe likes it super spicy and I don't so we always find a way to meet in the middle! Being that I'm the primary cook it typically isn't very spicy at all! (sorry babe!) It is a healthy dinner and we are always glad that we were able to have a Chinese dinner with out all of the MSG and the other stuff you often get when grabbing Chinese take out on the go! I know that the list of ingredients looks long, but I promise it really isn't that bad and it really doesn't take that long to make! I hope that you enjoy!

Prep Time: 9 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
1 tablespoon ground fresh ginger (I just use whatever dried ground ginger from the spice isle)
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1/2 cup fat free, less sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped salted peanuts
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add broccoli and 2 teaspoons ginger to pan; saute' 1 minute. Add water. Cover; cook 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove broccoli from fan; keep warm.
Heat remaining two teaspoons oil in pan; add remaining 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed red pepper, and chicken. Cook 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, stirring frequently.
Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl and stir with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan and cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Return broccoli mixture to pan, toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts.
I always serve over rice but you can also use Asian noodles!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment