Thursday, March 25, 2010

The House is on Fire!!!!.....

So, leading up to the our three year anniversary I thought I would share a funny story from our first week of marriage. This story is about how I almost burned down the house three days after I arrived in CT as Mrs. Corbett, all in my attempt to be a most wonderful wife!

After returning to CT after a wonderful week in Mexico I was left to begin the long process of unpacking my life in my new home with Mr. Corbett. Joe's brother Jim had been his previous roommate and moved out the week before I arrived. Needless to say with the two boys sharing this house it was quite the typical bachelor pad and I felt that the house needed a good scrub down from a woman. I was that woman, I was Mrs. Corbett and I wanted to show Joe just what a great wife he had by cleaning the house from top to bottom! I was on a mission and I decided to start the cleaning process before I started unpacking, I had my sights on kitchen and off I went. Before I go much further with this story I should mention that Joe's beloved dog Barkley as mentioned in the last blog entry had just arrived back to the house the night before and the two were so happy to be back together after being apart for almost two weeks.
After taking in all that needed to be done in the kitchen area I decided to start the cleaning process with the stove and oven. After locating cleaning supplies and picking up the area I noticed a little button on the top of the stove labeled "Self Cleaning". Could it really be that easy? I though about it for a second and decided why not? There was so much to be done it seemed like the best thing ever! I pushed that special little button and was thrilled that I had just crossed a major project off my list and I was off to clean counter tops and sink area. I thought I was doing great...just moving right along...that was until about twenty minutes later when the entire house began to fill with smoke! At first I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but as all of the smoke alarms began to go off, I had a feeling I was in big trouble. I walked over to the stove and looked in the front of the glass to see what was going on. All I could see was a GIANT fire ball inside the oven. The flames were going crazy and the smoke continued to pour out! Panic set in, I had only been in my new home for 48 hours and had managed to set the kitchen on fire. Who does that?!! ME! The story gets better, remember how I told you that Barkley had just returned to the house only 12 hours prior...well after turning off the "self cleaning" button, I decided to open the door to the house to let some of the smoke out completely forgetting that we had a dog. Next thing I know all I can see is the back of Barkley's head as he is running down the street! Now I have set my husbands house on fire, filled it with smoke and I have now lost his beloved dog! The complete opposite of my goal to show him what a wonderful wife he had!
I wasn't sure if I should call 911 or Joe?. I decided to call Joe at work (his first day back) first and see what he wanted me to do. Poor guy has to get me on the phone hysterical because there is fire and smoke and I lost the dog and I have no idea where to even go and look because like I said before I had only been in the town 48 hours myself. The good new is that the fire was contained to the oven and the house did eventually air out. After looking for the dog for about an hour we were shocked to find him about 20 feet from the house in the neighbors yard. I have never been so thankful! I learned a lot of things that day, 1. There is no such thing as a "self cleaning" button in this house. If I want it clean and done right I need to take the time and do it myself. 2. I have a wonderful husband who didn't totally freak out on me but was able to come home and laugh with me about the ordeal and 3. Even if I have good intentions of being a wonderful wife I'm still gonna fail at times and that's OK. I had really wanted to clean the house to please my new husband and ended up making things so much worse- but he knows my heart and I'm thankful that he thinks that I am a wonderful wife even when I'm not!

Just one of the many funny stories to take place here at the Corbett's on a some what regular basis. We hope you see the humor just as we do!

4 comments:

  1. This story makes me laugh every time!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and the three Corbetts

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHA that's about all I can say! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
    sorry!

    ReplyDelete